Thursday 7 August 2014

The Great Birthday Festival, Part 1

The Wild Atlantic Way
Today is my birthday and, as anyone who knows me will be aware, that makes me very, very happy indeed. The fact that this is a Big Birthday (as we call them in our house, when referring to the mile-marker ages - 13, 18, 21, 30, 40 etc), means that I can extend the birthday celebrations beyond the usual weekend or week and keep the festivities going for at least a month or two. So although I only turned 40 today, party-time commenced last weekend on a mini-break in Kenmare, when I shamelessly muscled in on No.1 Sister's birthday (though to be fair, we've been sharing the birthday-party spirit ever since I arrived just five days after her first birthday).
G&T by Cocoa Bean Chocolate Co.

As mini-breaks go, this one deserves its very own Carlsberg ad. We had mostly fabulous weather, despite dire predictions by Met Eireann, with the only rain falling on Friday while we were safely ensconced in what is probably the world's best spa (Samas in the Kenmare Park Hotel if you're interested). By Sunday, the sun was shining once more, the sky was blue and the views were outstanding as we drove along a stretch of the Wild Atlantic Way towards Valentia Island. We reached the Skellig chocolate factory just before lunch time and decided to pop in for a look, thinking we might have a browse and maybe (!!) buy some chocolates. Much to my surprise and continued delight, there was a tasting area where you were welcomed by a cheerful chocolate-loving assistant, who made it their business to introduce you to as many wonderful chocolates as possible. 

Now by 'introduce' I mean 'encourage you to eat', which we did. Presentations were made in twos: there was the battle of the pralines (dark chocolate vanilla versus milk chocolate hazelnut); an alcoholic skirmish (Irish whiskey truffle in dark chocolate weighing in against a milk choc strawberry champagne truffle); and a duel of chocolate brittles (dark chocolate mint versus milk chocolate orange). I know there were others - one stand-out winner was the lime zest and black pepper dark chocolate bar - but sadly I can no longer recall the details thanks to partial amnesia as a result of the ensuing chocolate coma. 


Edible G&T 
However, I was determined not to be defeated by the tasting and shuffled along the counter with the rest of the chocolate zombies to the bagged and packaged chocolate treats available for purchase (canny Skellig chocolatiers!). Despite grabbing up more bags of chocolates than I could safely hold, I managed to exercise a little restraint and settled for a bag of milk chocolate salted caramels (amazing) and a bar of Gin & Tonic dark chocolate (yes, really!). The latter is produced by the Cocoa Bean Chocolate Company (also responsible for the fabulous lime zest and black pepper bar). They recently joined forces with Skellig Chocolates (makers of the incredibly yummy salted caramel chocolates) and may I say, I wish them a long and happy marriage and hope to hear the pitter-patter of tiny chocolate feet for many a year to come.

The G&T chocolate bar is, I've decided, the perfect treat to settle down with and enjoy as I launch myself into my forties. I adore nothing more than a cold G&T (made with Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray gin) with ice and a slice of lime, ideally imbibed on a lazy, sunny afternoon. Unfortunately, alcohol is not always my friend, especially when I'm unwell, which has put paid to many a lovely G&T moment over the last few years. Happily, chocolate is a loyal and constant ally and now here it is, in the guise of my favourite tipple. The fresh lime zest and crushed juniper berries in the dark chocolate somehow fool the brain into thinking you've just had a sip of a G&T, instantly transporting you to your happy place (Margaritaville here I come!). Sophisticated flavours, very pretty packaging and delicious chocolate - who could ask for anything more? The perfect mini-break in Kenmare, a G&T in a chocolate bar and with more treats and celebrations yet to come, this is probably the best birthday festival in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment